Thursday, February 9, 2012

Girls and Women in the Media: The Messages and the Myths: Week 1

This is the material from the Week 1 of our topic "Girls and Women in the Media".

These are important issues to discuss with young girls, teenagers, and women. I will be careful to speak truthfully and graciously, always using God's word to help understand the sensitive issues regarding femininity, sexuality, and purity.

I am not an expert and much of the ideas/recommendations are not original to me. I will try whenever possible to cite the sources of my information.

In the following weeks, we will be more specific about the messages and myths that the media would like women to believe. But for this week, I am going to show you some examples of what is out there. Most importantly, I will point out some scriptures that give overall biblical principles in regards to 21st century media and how it portrays women. At the end of this week, I will give some easy, first steps that you can use now when discipling young girls.

Example 1:
Click on the link to visit the "BRATZ" website.
 What are they advertising?  What age group is it geared towards?
Describe the makeup, clothing, poses of the dolls.  What accessories are available?

Example 2:
This is Kaia Gerber modeling a line of clothing for Versace. 
How old is she? How is she posed? What parts of her body are empasized?
(In case you were wondering, she is 10 years old in these photos!)

Example 3:















No comments:

Post a Comment